If you are anything like me, right about now you must be lounging around in a tank top and shorts wondering what exactly might a person wear to beat the heat on a mid-summer day like today with temperatures soaring into the late 90s and climbing (in New York City, it’s currently 98°c). Well, for starters a tank top and shorts will do, as long as you are comfortable and the fabric is loose-fitting and not to mention the right colour. Right now I am wearing the wrong colour (black) and I should know better.
10 Things to Keep in Mind on a Hot Summer Day
1. Comfort is key, don’t be a fashion victim wearing all the latest fashion trends all at once to look cool. Dress with your own comfort in mind.
2. Be selective with the fabrics your clothes are made out of. I find light clothes made out of 100% cotton to be the most weather appropriate especially for people with sensitive skin like me.
3. Stay away from black, browns and navy/royal blue as these colours absorb heat.
4. Moisturise and hydrate as much as you can, this will not only keep you from getting dehydrated and washed out but also promote wellness and keep your youthful glow. The humidity has been especially unkind to my hair this summer but moisturising also helps in this area.
5. Stay out of direct contact with the harmful rays of sun as much as you can even if you have slapped on sunscreen and UV protection. If you are looking to gain vitamin D from the sun, you should do so at sunrise and make sure your vitamin seeking ends by 11AM which is around the time those benefits cease as the sun approaches its daily high point in the sky.
6. Dress to flatter your figure. Wearing skimpy or scanty clothing for spectacle not only attacts unwanted attention, it makes one look desperate and uncool especially when you are wearing an outfit that is two sizes too small or ten sizes too big for your figure or just wrong for your figure altogether.
7. Avoid heavy creams and cosmetics as these tend to overwhelm the skin in the summertime and promote sweating.
8. That feeling of light-headedness might not be just the heat. Skip the thick and sometimes overwhelming eau-de-parfum fragrances for the time-being and stick to light and simple body sprays and spritzers. Bonus: You won’t be bug bait.
9. Let your skin breathe. Slippers and thong sandals are great for your feet, shop around and buy what your feet feel comfortable in. I recently discovered fitflops which are great flip flop slippers that also provide arch and heel support. In the summertime, I live in cotton wrapper dresses, cotton maxis, cotton tanks and tops, denim(it’s debateable in the heat but that’s my style), sheer sarees/saris and kaftans.
10. Keep your cool in a well-ventilated abode, cross-ventilating is also great. Enjoy air-conditioning, cooling camps, fans, pools and cold showers wherever and whenever you can.
Photo Credit: IN
File Under: Hats & Fascinators – Elisa Palomino’s Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Madrid A/W 2012 Collection
Designer: Elisa Palomino – A/W 2012 Collection
Trends: Colourful hats and fascinators, brightly accented frocks, embellishments, creative feather boas and vibrant patterns.
Photo Credit: Zimbio content provider, Jasper Juinen/Getty Images Europe
SHOP FOR AMAZING TWO-TONE PEEP-TOE PUMPS↓
Tropical Fruit & Flower Fascinators at Philipp Plein Urban Jungle – Fashion Show – Milan Fashion Week Womenswear S/S 2012
Photo Credit: Tullio M. Puglia/Getty Images Europe)
GILES – LFW
Just when you thought we had seen enough “RED” this week to last us a month in fashion (see our post on the sea of red dresses at the 2011 EMMY awards). Nevertheless, the showstopper red dresses from the Giles runway were a force to be reckoned with.
Photo Credit: Stuart Wilson/Getty Images Europe
WHAT: Simon Fashion Now presented by Cadillac
WHO: Fashion Designers and Collections from Fendi, Jimmy Choo, Max Mara, Neiman Marcus, Macy’s and more…
WHEN: September 8th 2011
WHERE: The Galleria, Houston, Texas
FASHIONWIDGET’S VERDICT: In spite of all the flash mob dancers, pyrotechnics, confetti, vamp dance acts and other shenanigans, the clothes and shoes from Fendi and Jimmy Choo were the highlights of the show which was scheduled to begin at 8pm but did not get underway until much later. Spring/Summer 2012 looks very promising with lots of tailored mini skirt suits, knee-high boots, fur (if you choose to wear it) , peep-toe strappy shoes, fascinators, lots of colour and more. This was my first time at the Galleria and I must say the mall was pretty impressive on its own without adding the FASHION NOW effect. I only wish I could have stayed in town longer to see the skating rink within the mall which was converted into a runway for the fashion shows. The Houston fashion scene, which is pretty much new to the Fashion’s Night Out scene as celebrated the world over, earns a C+ from me because I certainly found myself missing New York City.
PHOTO CREDIT: Cadillac and Simon
HERE COMES THE BRIDE…
Photo Credit: Sandra Mu/Getty Images AsiaPac
This is a rundown of Australian Fashion shows as part of Mercedes-Benz Fashion Festival Sydney 2011 – Sydney Town Hall August 24, 2011 in Sydney, Australia.
Photo Credit: Lucas Dawson/Getty Images AsiaPac