From what I saw, the afore-mentioned celebrities were the only ones who represented for fashion at the 2012 BET Awards, which took place in Los Angeles last evening. The men had it easy (don’t they always?) All they had to do was show up in jeans and a t-shirt or a suit. The women? Hmm! Boy, did they try to make all kinds of fashion statements in all sorts of shapes, sizes, colours and lengths all night long, with performers changing into as many as two or three outfits through the course of the night. For the most part they were okay fashion statements. Kerry Washington, who is one of my favourite fashionistas played it too safe in a beige bustier and black pencil skirt. I was pleasantly surprised by Toccara Jones who looked pretty stylish in print, Selita Ebanks knocked it out of the ballpark in a semi-see-through floor length Falguni & Shane Peacock (she’s definitely becoming a fashion favourite), Beyonce shined in a thigh-high slit sleek yellow dress paired with a statement silver belt, Kim Kardashian and Eva Pigford also impressed in sizzling white numbers. Angela Bassett kept in classy in an appropriately short lacy lbd paired with peep-toe pumps and her stylishly signature pixie haircut. I really loved Lola Munroe’s one-shouldered fitted gown by Gerardo Reyes but couldn’t understand the necklace on her head which threatened to unbalance her nearly perfect look.
Photo Credit: Getty Images North America
Victoria Beckham, Aishwarya Rai and Beyonce Knowles are powerhouses in fashion, movies and music respectively and from the looks of it, all three recent mothers need no advice when it comes to protecting their off-spring (Harper Seven, Aaradhya Beti-B & Blue Ivy).
In a Fashionwidget analysis of the compiled photos above, we’ve come up with a list of ten sensible ways to be stylish and protect your baby too.
THE DOs and DON’T of Celebrity with Baby Sidewalk Style:
1. DO invest in a pair of dark sunglasses. Chloe, Tom Ford, Dior are celebrity favourites when it comes to protecting their peepers. Nothing helps better than blending in with the masses public.
2. DO cover up your baby with a blanket, sheet or cloth as you strut and stroll.
3. DON’T engage or insight the paparazzo or paparazzi following you, not only will you look nasty in the resulting photographs but you would also be endangering the welfare of a child.
4. DO hire a security detail if you are super famous, no level of incognito will protect you once you’ve been spotted and recognised.
5. DO dress appropriately and behave like a sensible commoner. Loud outfits, ridiculous behaviour and pointless drama will only draw more attention to you and your off-spring.
6. DO carry your spawn with his or her face towards you, that way the chances of the photographers snapping their picture dwindles + you will be protecting the baby’s delicate eyes from the glaring flashbulbs.
7. DO release an official picture of your bundle of joy to the public. While you reserve the right to your own privacy, the chances of the paparazzi trying to out-do themselves in the hopes of getting the first shots of your baby’s face will diminish.
8. DO invest in a baby carrier a la Beyonce and Aishwarya, this way if a scuffle should ensue between you and a crazed fan or over-zealous photographer, your baby will be protected.
9. DO dress your baby sensibly, the whole ‘toddler fashionista’ thing is so over-rated. Let them be themselves, not an extension of you or what the public wants them to be. More importantly let them have and enjoy their childhood.
10. DO exercise some common sense when it comes to you and your child, be yourself and enjoy your motherhood.
Photo Credit: PCN, IANS, TOA & Getty
She can still rock those heels despite being pregnant and we applaud her for keeping her wardrobe interesting. I have to say though I initially did not like the mini maternity dresses Beyonce opted for after announcing that she was expecting her first child with husband Sean Carter (aka Jay-Z) but this recent outing in which the songbird was photographed wearing a white long-sleeved maternity blouse, dark skinny jeans and lace up boots topped off with a blue animal skin top handle bag saw her in a more sophisticated and refreshing light.
SNAG HER STYLE↓
Photo Credit: PacificCoastNews.com
SHOP FOR AMAZING TWO-TONE PEEP-TOE PUMPS↓
is fierce but Fashionwidget is officially joining the bandwagon of those who would like to see Ms. Fierce incorporate long and flowing gowns into her maternity wardrobe. Late last month when Beyonce announced her pregnancy to the world, she wore this gorgeous tailored-to-fit-her-baby-bump floor length Lanvin gown…
but ever since then and for reasons only known to the fierce one, she has been showing up at events and/or has been photographed on the sidewalks and streets of New York City dressed in one unflattering mini thing or the other.
Beyonce, we get it, you can still work those heels and your legs…forces to be reckoned with for sure but please stock up on some lovely long fluid with flattering silhouette gowns.
THIS WAS GORGEOUS
Photo Credit: PacificCoastNews.com +↓
Michael Buckner/Getty Images North America
Mike Coppola/Getty Images North America
Slaven Vlasic/Getty Images North America
STREET STYLE WE LOVED TODAY…
Dress by Vera Wang & Shoes by
Photo Credit: PacificCoastnews.com